If you’ve done a Google search for “data backup and recovery,” odds are results for both Backupify and Datto SaaS Protection will appear.
And, if you click through to either company you will soon realize Backupify and Datto are very closely related. In fact, Datto is Backupify’s parent company via an acquisition in 2014.
While both companies focus on protecting business data, their services work for different audiences and are developed to solve different problems.
- Datto is the leading provider of business continuity, disaster recovery, and managed networking solutions for managed service providers.
- Backupify is a service dedicated to assisting enterprise IT departments (and their data) with reliable and effective backup and security protections for Microsoft 365 & Google Workspace specifically.
Read on to learn more about the difference between Backupify and Datto.
The Difference Between Backupify and Datto
What is Backupify?
Backupify offers cloud-based data backup and storage to businesses utilizing Google Workspace and Microsoft 365 because these two platforms only offer limited storage, data protection, and backup capabilities.
Specifically, Google and Microsoft operate on a shared responsibility model, meaning both SaaS providers and businesses must work together to protect business data:
- SaaS providers like Microsoft and Google must maintain backups at various geolocations to ensure global availability and protect against natural disasters.
- Businesses are responsible to protect data loss events - guarding against malware, hardware failures, and human error (A shocking 95% of security breaches are attributed to human error).
Backupify provides additional protection for enterprise clients spanning industries like:
- Real estate
And for specific SaaS app data for business needs like:
- Customer relationship management
- Human Resources
- Business intelligence
- Database management
- Finance and accounting
- Enterprise resource planning
While Backupify’s backup capabilities fuel the Datto SaaS Protection technology, Datto’s product suite is dedicated to MSPs and offers more than backup services.
What is Datto?
Datto and its range of products and platforms (hardware, software, and virtual appliances), offer backup, recovery, business continuity, business management software, and more, specifically designed for MSPs.
Among Datto’s offerings is SaaS Protection. SaaS Protection is cloud-to-cloud backup that has been reimagined from the Backupify model and repackaged to serve MSPs, like the rest of Datto’s offerings.
- Datto ALTO is a business continuity product MSPs can add to their toolkit to help small businesses.
- Datto NAS provides MSPs backup, recovery, and business continuity tools specifically for local, virtual, and cloud workloads.
- Autotask PSA enables MSPs to centralize business operations and make data-driven decisions to improve service, productivity, and profitability.
- Datto RMM allows MSPs to remotely monitor, manage, and support every endpoint under contract, reducing cost, and increasing service delivery efficiency.
And this is just a small sample of what Datto offers MSPs. With Datto, MSPs can protect business data everywhere it resides, whether on-premise, in virtualized environments, in the cloud, or within SaaS applications.
Which Service is Right for You?
Ultimately, the difference is in the audience and the similarity lies in the technology. Backupify is a Datto company and will operate serving cloud backup to larger IT enterprises, while Datto focuses on enabling MSPs. If a situation arises where an MSP has the opportunity to serve a potential Backupify client, the opportunity will go to the MSP every time, no questions asked.
Datto is and always has been an MSP-centric company. If you’re an MSP looking for products to better serve your clients, solutions to grow your business, and unmatched partner service support, check out Datto here.
If you’re an enterprise IT professional backing up 100s of users and looking to protect your organization’s cloud data against human error, accidental deletion, malware, or hardware failures, Backupify is for you. See how Backupify can help in this video.